Friday, May 6, 2011

Do you hate FIGURE guys?

For many people the large movements following the most significant features in music is the only way to start dancing. It is like learning to read was for me - I was presented capital letters or words with LARGE ordinary letters. Little by little I learned to read different sizes, types of letters - even the small ones and started to forget the letters and consentrate on the MEANING these letters were mediating.

I started as a nuevotype of leader. My primary source of joy was large movements and fast moving forward. Most of the information was visual and I could only recognize relatively large changes. My focus was external but only up to my partner - then I got capacity problem!

During the following years I learned to regulate my movements - I got small steps when I planned and long ones when needed. I learned to lead all this stuff with different followers and life got easier. I started to see and appreciate smaller movements.

When the production of movements did not take that much of my capacity anymore I started to listen to music when dancing (!) as well as to my inner reactions. That time I noticed that a movements effect in my body can be as deeply joyful as a corresponding effect of music. When a follower is taking her step and clearly rising on her standing leg, the moment she reaches her highest position can be totally beautiful! It is not visuell, not auditive but a kinaesthetic experience!

Today my primary source of joy are small, precise movements and if they match perfectly the music, enormous joy is exploding inside me - So great that it can break down a dance and we stop to shake hands! When learning a new figure I need to dance with the teacher to get the movement right. On certain level there is not much visual signs but kinaesthetic needs to be tuned in.

It seems to me that the change of my dance is based on change in control of movements and on development of for me new sense - kinaesthetic. The work on musicality is there also!

There will always be people who just love the large steps and fast giros. We have them with us and we need to learn to cope with it!

But the others? Could it be that there is a common path the most people are walking in their tangolives? Starting with large and growing to smaller? If so how could we facilitate that development?

No comments: